Remy’s Pick: How to Pick the Right Floor Plan
April 2, 2022
One of the most exciting times in your life can be choosing to build a new home. Here at McKee Builders, we know that choosing the right floor plan depends on how you use your home and how it fits with your lifestyle. From the size and shape, to where the rooms are located in relation to each other, every part of the home can affect your experience, so knowing what you really want is crucial. Remy, our Chief Morale Officer, has five tips for choosing the right home for your lifestyle.
1) Figure out what size of home will best suit your needs.
Choosing a floor plan should start with how large a home you need to fit your lifestyle. How many bedrooms and bathrooms are enough for you and visiting guests? How many garage bays do you need? Do you need a room for your furry family? Are you downsizing or expecting to expand your family? Think about the space you wish you had (or don’t need) now and prioritize your most important needs.
2) Choose a floor plan based on your lifestyle.
Lifestyles and family needs differ depending on what stage of life you are in. Before choosing a floor plan, ask yourself:
- Is your family situation changing, either growing or shrinking?
- Will you need guest rooms for overnight visitors, or additional living space for visiting parents or grandchildren?
- Are you approaching retirement? Should you choose a plan that’s great for aging in place?
- How do you entertain guests? Do you want formal spaces or relaxed get-togethers?
- Do the kids need an additional play space?
- Where do your pups spend the most time? Do they need a sleeping cubby or a washing station?
3) Trust your instincts on what “feels” right when choosing a floor plan.
All of us (especially dogs!) know when a space feels comfortable. Take these instincts into consideration when looking at different floor plans. Someone with children may want the primary bedroom up with the other bedrooms. Others might prefer for the primary bedroom to be downstairs, separated from the other bedrooms.
4) Don’t forget workspace considerations.
Are you working from home more these days or even full-time? Do you have any hobbies or special interests that might require special rooms to enjoy them? Do you need lots of attic or storage space to store your treasures?
Answering these questions honestly will ensure that you choose the right floor plan for your lifestyle now and into the future. If you need any guidance or suggestions, our new home specialists are here to help! Please give us a call at 610-549-4208 or schedule a personal tour of our models today. Tell them Remy sent you!