Is Buying A Home A Good Investment?
April 25, 2023
Most people would agree that they’d prefer to own their own home versus renting. After all, it’s the quintessential American dream. From the sense of community to the sense of security, not to mention the financial benefits, the advantages of homeownership – specifically a McKee Builders home – are clear.
Our dedicated and hardworking team, superb craftsmanship, and distinctive architecture enable us to offer uncompromising quality, prime locations, and well-planned neighborhoods, creating the best new homes and communities in Delaware and Pennsylvania.
Still on the fence? Totally understandable. Buying a home is a huge financial decision for anyone. However, the benefits of becoming a homeowner – good location, financial stability, and a better lifestyle – are definitely worth considering.
The Benefits of Homeownership: Long & Short-Term
The benefits of homeownership are both short-term (guaranteed monthly payments) and long-term (building equity over the life of a mortgage). Let’s look at some of the reasons why homeownership is a good investment.
- Building equity & wealth. A renter’s monthly payments only benefit their landlord. But as a homeowner, as you pay off your mortgage each month, you are building equity in your home. As your home increases in value, so does your equity. That extra money can be used to reinvest in a new home or an investment property. Or you could use your home to build wealth immediately by using it as a rental property.
- Future savings. Part of a mortgage payment goes towards the principal repayment. You’re paying yourself by building equity. By building equity, you are setting aside money that you can tap into down the road. As a forced savings, it is a good discipline.
- Stable housing costs. The curse of renting is the uncertainty of an increase. With a fixed-rate mortgage, the payments won’t change. Unless you decide to change your mortgage terms, your monthly payment will remain the same throughout the duration of your home’s mortgage.
- Stronger credit. When you make monthly mortgage payments consistently, owning a home helps strengthen your credit over time. As you build up good credit, it will be easier to secure other forms of financing. (For example, a car loan or financing for an investment property.)
- Tax benefits. Homeowners enjoy a variety of tax deductions. For example, interest paid on a home mortgage is tax-deductible. Depending on your location, there may be property tax deductions, too. Homeowners may be exempt from up to $250,000 after selling a property due to an exemption in the capital gains tax. There are certain eligibility requirements, but homeowners can benefit from selling their homes.
- Solid investment. While home values vary by location, the nationwide average shows that a typical homeowner who bought a house 30 years ago saw their home almost triple in value over that time. Even if home price appreciation eases as the market cools, experts say home prices are still expected to appreciate in 2023. That means, in most markets, your home should grow in value.
Are There Benefits To Buying A New Construction Home?
Yes! Once you’ve decided to become a homeowner, you need to figure out whether to buy new or used. While an existing home may seem like a better idea (cheaper, move in sooner), you should seriously consider buying a new construction home. With McKee Builders, new construction homes are the way to go.
Here are some of the benefits of new construction homes:
The locations. New construction homes tend to be strategically placed in ideal locations near schools, shopping, dining, and entertainment. There are many ways to get to know your neighbors, especially if there are community amenities like a pool, fitness center, or clubhouse.
Personalization. Many new construction homes allow you to personalize your home to suit personal needs and taste preferences. You can select the right wall colors, appliances, and floor types. When you build with McKee, you can select finishes and more.
Modern layouts. Unless you are willing to pay extra for renovations in a resale home, a new-construction home is your best bet when it comes to meeting your needs. New homes come with layouts to suit modern families. Most of them have open concepts with large living areas and flex spaces.
Warranties. Most new construction homes are covered by a variety of warranties. The warranties may cover the home’s foundation, workmanship, irrigation systems, and/or appliances. This is appealing to first-time homebuyers who are worried about the maintenance of a home. It will take a few years before you need to tackle repairs on a newly built house.
Contact McKee Builders Today To Learn About Our New Construction Homes!
There are so many positive benefits that come with buying a new construction home. When looking for a home with modern floor plans, exceptional craftsmanship, and industry-best warranties situated in prime locations, look no further than a new McKee home in Delaware or Pennsylvania.
For generations, we’ve helped families and active adults find their perfect home where they can enjoy these benefits and more. And we can help you too! Take a moment to browse our homes and let us know when you find one you love or if you have any questions.