Cape Henlopen: One of Delaware’s Many Outdoor Assets
October 23, 2016
For such a small state, Delaware offers a remarkable array of outdoor activities, both on land and water. If you are looking to for a state with a rich outdoor options for walking, hiking, biking and boating, Delaware offers one of the best places to retire in this country—especially with its 17 state parks all within easy reach.
There are more than 150 miles of trails in Delaware’s state parks for such outdoor activities. If you have yet to experience some of Delaware’s terrific hiking trails, here are some excursion destinations and trails to consider—and from just one of those 17 parks.
Here are some brief trail descriptions about Cape Henlopen State Park:
Cape Henlopen State Park offers many opportunities for walking, hiking, biking, and riding, with distances ranging from under a mile to five miles, with different surfaces.
· Beach Walk: Hike the two-mile stretch between the Atlantic Ocean and Gordons Pond, or walk or ride the four-plus miles along the ocean beach.
· Pinelands Nature Trail is Delaware’s first national recreation trail, a one-and-a-half mile easy loop that moves through pine forest and cranberry bogs, also passing by World War II artillery bunkers. This trail also has several connectors to the Cape Henlopen Bike Loop.
· The Bike Loop is a three-plus mile paved bike loop, with great views of the Atlantic Ocean. This paved trail is great for strollers, as well as bikes. On this loop is also the park office, a nature center, campground, beach bathhouse, outdoor fitness area, observation tower, and the Fort Miles Historic Area.
· Gordons Pond Trail is a nearly three-mile trail running along the western side of Gordons Pond, a large saltwater lagoon. The surface of Gordons Ponds Trail is crushed gravel, so you can easily move through the trail’s different topographies, which include grassy marshes, maritime forest, and sand dunes.
· Junction and Breakwater Trail is a five-mile, pine-studded trail running next to wetlands and farmland.
· Seaside Nature Trail is just over half-a-mile, running close to the water and offering looks at the Delaware Bay, Inner Breakwater, fishing pier, and the Henlopen Lighthouse.
Along with some of our country’s great state parks, Delaware also has some of our country’s top retirement communities. This amazing combination should make you consider Delaware in your retirement planning.
Delaware State Parks