Tips for Selling Your Home During the Holiday and Winter Season
December 19, 2017
Don’t let the thought of selling your home during the holiday season dampen your holiday spirit because this time of year has its advantages! Buyers tend to be more serious and motivated, and competition is less intense. Here are some tips for selling your home during the holidays!
- Hire a reliable agent. Find someone who won’t disappear during the holidays, and who will go above and beyond to get your home sold. This will ease your stress and give you more time to enjoy the season.
- Seek out motivated buyers. Anyone who is house hunting during the holidays is likely pretty motivated. Reach out to buyers on a deadline, people relocating for jobs, investors on tax deadlines, and military personnel, if you live near a military base.
- Deck the halls, but don’t go crazy. Less is more. Subtle yet festive beats distracting and overwhelming. Tone down your holiday color palette so it complements your home’s décor. Accentuate features such as high ceilings and fireplace mantels with tasteful decorations. Avoid religious themes.
- Curb appeal, holiday-style. When trees lose their leaves, maintaining the exterior of your home is even more important. Touch up the paint, clean the gutters and spruce up the yard. Leave the giant inflatables in storage. Use simple strings of lights to highlight your home’s architecture or the gorgeous tree in your yard. Make sure stairs and walkways are free of snow, ice or leaves.
- Give house hunters a place to escape from the cold. Make your home feel cozy during showings by turning up the heat, having a fire in the fireplace, playing soft classical music and offering holiday treats. You want to encourage buyers to spend more time in your home, so they can admire its best features.
- Take really good photos. No matter the weather, homebuyers like to start their house hunting from the comfort of their sofas by browsing on the Internet. Post lots of flattering, high-quality photos of your home. If possible, have summer or spring photos so buyers can see how it looks year-round.
- Take a deep breath and relax. Remind yourself that if you don’t sell now, there’s always next year, which is just around the corner!