Retiring? Tips for Reinventing Your Life
December 4, 2017
Do you see retirement as an exciting new chapter or as a path to the unknown? After so many years in the working world, retirement can be unsettling at the very least. Who are you if you don’t have a job? Why do you get out of bed every morning?
At McKee Builders, we believe that retirement is a beginning, not an end. Here are some tips for reinventing your life after retirement.
- Let it go. It’s ok to mourn the loss of your old self, but then embrace your new identity. Let your old life go, and become who you are now. Focus on your present and future self.
- Relax & recharge – you’ve earned it. Spend time with your grandchildren. Take a trip. Go to the movies. Your time is yours – go do what you want!
- Volunteer at your church, hospital or favorite non-profit. The satisfaction of doing good, of helping, is worth more than a paycheck. You may even find yourself a second career.
- Get moving. At this stage of life, embracing a healthier lifestyle is not only good for your body, but your mind, too. Go for walks, try yoga, lift weights. Every little bit helps.
- Find a new career. Or start your own business. Is there something you always wanted to try? Maybe an interest you couldn’t pursue when you had a family to take care of? Now’s the time to go for it!
- Go back to school. Update your skills or study something completely new. You’re never too old to enjoy learning something new.
- Socialize. Take up a new hobby and make new friends. Or re-establish ties with old ones. Working and raising a family can be hard on old friendships. Now you have time to reconnect. Don’t be a hermit.
- Write things down. Start journaling or blogging. Whether it’s for therapeutic or historical purposes, writing will change your life. Someday, your family will have an irreplaceable piece of you.
The bottom line? Enjoy yourself!
Come meet people like you at a McKee 55+ Community. See for yourself what makes each McKee community the ideal retirement destination! Call today to learn more about our beautiful homes, or visit us at McKeeBuilders.com.